Manchester at Midnight
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Knowledge in motion

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Xavier Hawthorne

Xavier Hawthorne

Knowledge in motion Empty
PostSubject: Knowledge in motion   Knowledge in motion EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 2:34 pm

Xavier walks into a coffee shop known for catering to the tastes of engineers and college students. Tonight was code wars night. The goal was to set up a software system and see how well it stood up to various problems. The winner got $100 gift certificate to best buy. Xavier was here as a judge, given his reputation in these cricles all it took was one contestfor everyone to realize that Xavier was good rumor said he was, he would win most of the time if allowed to compete.

After ordering a caffee breve he ask the barrista when it arrives
"Tell me Jen, think tonight will be a good game. or will be like last time where everyone's startup routines were vulnerable?"
Back to top Go down
Staff_Ronny
Admin
Staff_Ronny

PostSubject: Re: Knowledge in motion   Knowledge in motion EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 2:58 pm

::Before the barrista could answer him a clattering of plates and cups caught the attention of those around. Ceastus had seemingly knocked over a tray of items and was helping the a young man pick them up.::

"Oh, I didn't see you there, I'm just so absent minded some times."

::He says and helps the man out. Once done he sees his childer and give him an embarrassed wave.::
Back to top Go down
Xavier Hawthorne

Xavier Hawthorne

PostSubject: Re: Knowledge in motion   Knowledge in motion EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 3:07 pm

"Excuse me for a moment, i see my friend over there, i would like talk to him."

Missing the barrista's amused smile, Xavier walks over to Caestus with his drink and greets him with the name he uses in public.

"Simon! Good to see you so early, wasn't expecting you in town till next week. How have you been? I am here as judge for code wars later tonight. Want to join me at my table?"

The mess is all cleaned by the time Xavier gets to the area.

Back to top Go down
Staff_Ronny
Admin
Staff_Ronny

PostSubject: Re: Knowledge in motion   Knowledge in motion EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 3:12 pm

::Ceastus smirks some and follows his childer over to the table. The elder Mehket takes a seat and makes the effort to let out a tired sigh.::

"OH, what a trip. Traveling up and down the east coast is always so interesting this time of the year. Sunny in Florida, snow in Canada. Not so much this year, might start believing all the hub bub about global warming."

::He says with a chuckle.::

"Code wars? What's that?"

::He asks with marked Interest.::
Back to top Go down
Xavier Hawthorne

Xavier Hawthorne

PostSubject: Re: Knowledge in motion   Knowledge in motion EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 3:23 pm

"It's a contest. Each person sets up a sofware system on a computer, the computers are subjected to various stresses and issues. The system that stands up best to what ever is done to it in the opinion of the judges is the winner"

Smiling he looks around as some the contestants begin to file in. He adds

"It is lots of fun for those in the tech trade. Want to watch it?"
Back to top Go down
Staff_Ronny
Admin
Staff_Ronny

PostSubject: Re: Knowledge in motion   Knowledge in motion EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 4:26 pm

::Ceastus racks his memory on the terms Xavier and seemingly understands most of what the young kindred said.::

"That sounds like a great idea really. Some friendly competition leading to possibly a break throw in the field. Very interesting stuff."

::Ceastus said and rubbed his chin some and watched the kine assemble.::
Back to top Go down
Xavier Hawthorne

Xavier Hawthorne

PostSubject: Re: Knowledge in motion   Knowledge in motion EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 5:14 pm

As the contestants come in Xavier begins to frown

"Vivian Ives, the other judge, hasn't come yet. She usually is here by now. I hope she isn't late. Tell me if you spot a tall redheaded woman in her 50s. Vivian Ives is a graphic designer for a local marketing firm."

She wasn't as good with computers as Xavier, but she was butter than your average programmer and she didn't play favorites. This made her an ideal judge.
Back to top Go down
Xavier Hawthorne

Xavier Hawthorne

PostSubject: Re: Knowledge in motion   Knowledge in motion EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 8:14 pm

Xavier's cellphone rings and he answers it. After a short whispered conversation Xavier speaks to the crowd in a loud tone of voice

"OK people, Vivian has strep throat so it's just me judging tonight! Contest begins in 10 minutes. Everyone go to your assigned computer and set up your external hard drive, and have the machine boot from that hard drive!"

There are 18 contestants tonight, they all wander to the wall across the room, which is lined with computers. Most of them are college kids, but a few older engineers are there too.

In lower tone of voice Xavier says

"Simon can you help me see to it that no one tries to tamper with another person's hardware? last time one kid tried to cheat by switching another person's sound card wires around to make it look like her sound drivers had failed."
Back to top Go down
Staff_Ronny
Admin
Staff_Ronny

PostSubject: Re: Knowledge in motion   Knowledge in motion EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 5:50 pm

::The Elder Mehket stays quiet for most of the competition, seemingly taking in the sights and sounds of the event with a lot of interest. He would occasionally stop Xavier and ask him a question about event.::
Back to top Go down
Xavier Hawthorne

Xavier Hawthorne

PostSubject: Re: Knowledge in motion   Knowledge in motion EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 4:48 am

After hours of systems tests including interrupted startups and updates, various hardware changes, virus, and last but not least a test of haw many programs can be run at once before functionality suffered a petite redhead college student named Leslie was declared the winner. throughout those two hours cheers, taunts, and cat calls when ever a system crashed were common. Everyone seeming to have a great time. At the end of the competition most of the contestants left the shop.

Xavier orders another cafe breve and then says to his sire between sips of coffee

"Fun competition tonight, systems held up better than last time. As for me, my business is doing well, we just moved to a new building. Customers are just lining up."

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Knowledge in motion   Knowledge in motion Empty

Back to top Go down

Knowledge in motion
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Manchester at Midnight :: The City of Manchester :: Downtown-
Jump to: